07 Jul Tomato & Feta Salad with Herb Pesto
Salads and Small Plates
Tomato & Feta Salad with Leftover Herb Pesto
This fresh and vibrant salad is perfect for when your farmer’s market is packed with ripe, sweet tomatoes. Only use this recipe as inspiration, instead let your local grocer or market guide you on what’s in season and build your salad around that. You can store your leftover herb pesto in the fridge for a few days until ready to eat. Just give it a good stir and let it come to room temperature for the best flavour.
- To make the pesto, place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until it reaches a smooth consistency. If you don’t have a food processor, finely chop all ingredients (especially the stalks) and stir to combine. Taste and adjust lemon juice and seasoning accordingly.
- In a large serving bowl, add all the tomato wedges and halved cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with feta and more basil. Drizzle generously with pesto and eat immediately.
Leftover Herb Pesto
- ½ bunch of any leftover herbs (like parsley, basil, dill or coriander), stalks and leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, about ½ a lemon or to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large tomatoes (any variety that is in season), cut into thick wedges
- 200g mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes (a range of colours is great), some halved, some left whole
- 125g feta cheese, crumbled
- A handful of fresh basil leaves or other herbs