26 Mar Any Bean Any Lentil Chilli
Soups & Bowl Food
Any Bean Any Lentil Chilli
Any Lentil & Any Bean Chilli to feed your street! This is SO EASY & makes 10+ portions so you can happily make a big batch and freeze for another day. This is great if you have any tins of beans in your cupboards that you can put to good use, and any lentils work here too. It really is so easy that I think you could throw in anything you want and it would still taste delicious. I served mine with homemade garlic yoghurt, leftover chunks of cheese, quick pickled onions, quick slaw and jalapenos.
Work with what spices you’ve got & amp up the levels of spices as much as you like, I kept mine gently spiced for families.
1 Melt ghee/oil in your biggest pan, add onions, fry on medium heat for 8 mins while you get on with everything.
2. Add garlic, spices, herbs and chopped veg, stir, fry for a minute, keeping an eye on them, stirring occasionally and adding a splash of water if they start to stick.
3. Add tomatoes, lentils and stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 mins, lid on. Stir every 5 mins making sure you get to the bottom of the pan so the lentils don’t stick. Add more hot water if needed.
4. Meanwhile, make the pickled onions by mixing a sliced red onion with 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and a pinch of sea salt. Leave to ‘pickle’.Prepare the garlic yoghurt, grate the cheese and make the slaw.
5. Then add the cooked beans to the chilli for another 10 minutes. At this point, have a look at liquid levels, if very liquidy, turn up the heat and keep the lid off so it can thicken and reduce. If liquid levels are looking good, keep the lid on.
6. Once the veg and lentils are nicely tender, season the chilli to taste. Remove from the heat and divide between serving bowls and top with a generous spoonful of guacamole / cheese / yoghurt/ chopped coriander leaves and a swirl of olive oil or a drizzle of extra chilli sauce!
*Tag me in your recipes on Instagram*
450g uncooked brown/green lentils
3 x 400g mixed tins cooked beans
1 v big onion or 2 onions / leeks, diced
4 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 heaped tsp dried oregano or thyme
4 x big handfuls diced veg – carrot/peppers/celery/ courgette
2 x 400ml tinned tomatoes + 2 tbsp tomato puree
1-2 tsp maple syrup /ketchup
1.5 litres veg stock /broth (or water)
sea salt & pepper, to taste
1.5 tbsp ground cumin or 1 heaped tbsp of cumin seeds
Pinch chilli flakes/powder or cayenne
1 tbsp smoked paprika
Optional: 1 tsp ground cinnamon & 2 bay leaves
To serve, optional
Homemade pink pickled onions (sliced red onion in a vinegar salt bath!)
Quick slaw (shredded cabbage plus splash of olive oil and vinegar)
Garlic yoghurt (yoghurt + finely chopped garlic + salt)
Grated cheddar cheese
If you have any – coriander/lime/lemon/Jalapenos