04 Apr Apple & Banana Tray Bake
Sweets & Puddings
Apple & Banana Tray Bake
Next time you need to clear out your home or office fruit bowl, you’ve got to make this Apple & Banana Tray Bake Cake. It’s wonderfully easy and means no sad apple or super soft banana ever goes to waste. It’s a great recipe to have in your back pocket for the Easter holidays, especially when you never know how many people are coming or going and your fruit bowl is overflowing. Or even for those times fruit gets put into rucksacks/handbags and gets bashed around all bruised and forgotten. Well here’s your chance to give them some love. A slice of this would also make a great breakfast on the go!
1. Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a 20cm square cake tin.
2. Roughly grate 3 of the apples and squeeze as much liquid out as possible and set aside (squeeze into a glass and drink it, Chef’s bonus!)
3. Add all ingredients apart from the apple & bananas & blitz until smooth. Add bananas, blitz again briefly as you want to have some chunks of banana.
4. Stir in the grated apple then spoon the mixture into the tin and level it out. Thinly slice the 4th apple and arrange the slices on top.
5. Place the tin the middle of the oven. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Slice and serve.
- 4 medium apples (3 roughly grated, 1 sliced for on top)
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 eggs
- 75g ground almonds
- 150g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g rolled oats / quinoa flakes / buckwheat flakes
- 1-2tbsp maple syrup
- Small pinch of salt