14 Apr Spring Beetroot Salad
Salad & Sides
Spring Beetroot Salad
This big, hearty, warming Beetroot salad does just the job on colder Spring days. Celebrating spring ingredients, this salad has the best textures with crispy chickpeas, roasted carrots, crunchy beetroot & creamy yoghurt. This salad is also great year round with other ingredients in season so do feel free to swap anything for what you’ve got. You could swap beetroot for radish or carrot for sweet potato.
- Preheat oven to 220C. Toss chopped carrots in 1 tbsp ghee/ butter or oil, salt, pepper & rosemary/thyme.
- After 10 mins, add rinsed & dried cooked chickpeas & onion, tossing together & roast for another 15 mins until tender & golden edged. For the last 5 mins toss with 1 tbsp maple syrup & roast.
- If quinoa isn’t cooked, cook now with pinch of sea salt – about 15 mins for white quinoa up to 20 mins for black/red/tricolore varieties, leave to cool.
- Make garlic yoghurt by mixing the finely chopped garlic with s & p (mash in with the back of a spoon) & then mix with the yog & swirl of olive oil.
- Peel raw beetroot & slice into sticks (like in the picture). Finely chop herbs/salad leaves.
- Shake olive oil & lemon (& bit of finely chopped zest), season to taste.
- Grab serving platter & spread out the quinoa, toss with a few tbsp of dressing. Add half the roasting tray contents to quinoa & gently toss & drizzle over a little more dressing, then layer up the herbs and beetroot and dollop over the yoghurt and drizzle over any extra dressing to serve.
4 carrots, chopped into coins
1 tsp dried thyme or 1 tbsp fresh leaves
1 big red onion, roughly chopped
4 big handfuls cooked quinoa (or cook 200g quinoa following packet instructions)
1 raw beetroot, look for chioggia (pink white striped)
250g cooked chickpeas
Handful herbs you love – chives, basil, mint, dill, parsley
or salad leaves ..rocket/watercress /spinach / wild garlic
1 tbsp maple syrup
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice 1 lemon/3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
sea salt & pepper
For the Garlic Yoghurt:
1 small garlic clove, finely grated
100ml full fat yoghurt or coconut yog
salt & pepper + chilli flakes if you like