03 Jul Broccoli Breakfast Eggs
Breakfast and Brunch
Broccoli Breakfast Eggs
There’s no better time to get your daily dose of broccoli than at breakfast. I’m a big fan of a one pan, quick fry up that encompasses greens, good fats (ghee) and protein (from the eggs). You could swap in tender stem broccoli or purple sprouting or any greens you like. The harissa adds a good punch of flavour but you can leave it out (just make sure you’ve seasoned the broccoli and eggs well) or add in your favourite spices like cumin or smoked paprika.
- In a large wide frying pan, add the broccoli to the pan with about 4 tbsp of boiling water (straight from the kettle). Put the lid on and let it steam for about 2 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Take off the lid, push the broccoli to the side of the pan to clear a bit of space, add the ghee to the empty space and fry the garlic and harissa for 45 seconds or until the garlic is softened but not brown. Add a little sea salt and pepper, then stir everything together to coat the broccoli.
- Make 4 gaps (as best you can) and crack the eggs into each dip. Sprinkle over more salt and then put the lid back on for a final 4-6 minutes or until the whites have set (but the yolks are still slightly runny) then scatter over the feta and squeeze some lemon juice onto the broccoli.
- 1 medium head broccoli, approx 400g, stalks finely chopped and chop the head into small florets
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil or butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp harissa powder or your favourite spice e.g. cumin or smoked paprika
- 4 eggs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large handful crumbled feta or a few tbsp of yoghurt or labneh (optional)
- A good squeeze of lemon juice