20 Nov Broccoli & Feta Baked Eggs
Breakfast & Brunch
Broccoli & Feta Baked Eggs
When it comes to breakfast, I’m a big fan of a one-pan wonder with minimal washing up, & this Broccoli & Feta Baked Eggs hits the spot every time. Ready in under 10 minutes, it’s the best brekkie in a hurry but also easy to impress any weekend guests with. I used purple sprouting but use any type you like – regular broccoli or tenderstem. Try swapping the broccoli for asparagus from the end of April when it’s in season. I’d also enjoy this ANY TIME of day. Works brilliantly for a superfast supper.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. In a large wide frying pan (with an oven proof handle), add the broccoli to the pan with about 4 tbsp of boiling water. Put the lid on and let it steam for about 2 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Take off the lid, push the broccoli to the side of the pan to clear a bit of space, add the butter/ghee to the empty space and fry the garlic, spring onions and spice mix for 45 seconds or until the garlic is softened but not brown. Add a little sea salt and pepper, then stir everything together to coat the broccoli.
- Make 4 gaps (as best you can) and crack the eggs into each gap. Sprinkle over salt and then pop the pan in the oven for about 3-5 minutes until the whites have just set and the yolk is still runny (OR put the lid back on for a final 3-5 minutes or until the whites have set).
- Then remove the pan from the oven, scatter over the feta and squeeze some lemon juice onto the broccoli. Sprinkle over some chilli and herbs to finish.
- 300g (purple sprouting) broccoli
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 fat clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp berbere/harissa/garam masala/your favourite spice mix
- chilli flakes or try Pul Biber or Urfa chilli or fresh chopped chilli
- ½ a lemon
- 100g feta, crumbled
- Optional – fresh coriander or herbs + extra chilli