29 Jun Broccoli & Halloumi Simple Salad
Salads & Sides
Broccoli & Halloumi Simple Salad
This Broccoli & Halloumi Salad with Lentils & a Herby Dressing to drizzle over is a firm favourite of mine. I love it year round but you could also swap the broccoli for Asparagus when it’s in season and when Sprouting broccoli is out then you can of course use the classic. I love a bit of sweetness in this too so pomegranate works really well but you could use any fresh or dried fruit you like… if you like!
- Shake the dressing ingredients in a jar or whisk in a bowl & season to taste.
- Toast the pine nuts/seeds in a large frying pan for a minute until they start to ‘pop’ then set them aside.
- Put the pan back on the heat with a 1/4 mug of water and a pinch of salt, add the broccoli (slice up thick stems/stalks), pop the lid on and steam for 4 minutes w/ pinch or salt until just tender, then set the broccoli aside.
- Then put the dry pan back on the heat with the oil & fry the halloumi on high for 1 minute or so on each side until golden. Pop the cooked lentils in the pan for 1 minute to get hot if you like and drizzle a little honey over the halloumi.
- Meanwhile on a serving plate or bowl, toss the warm broccoli with the dressing and most of the pomegranate seeds, herbs and pine nuts. Then top with the golden halloumi and scatter over any last bits. Eat straight away while the halloumi is hot.
250g halloumi, sliced into 12
350g (sprouting) broccoli or asparagus
2 tsp butter or coconut oil
Handful pumpkin seeds, pine nuts etc
Handful dried fruit or pomegranate seeds
300g cooked lentils, I used Puy
Handful fresh herbs eg coriander, parsley, or chives/ sliced spring onions/red onion
A few handfuls watercress/ salad leaves
Sea salt & pepper, to taste
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or 1/2 lemon
2 tsp raw honey
Sea salt & pepper
2 tsp za’atar or dried oregano or thyme
Optional chilli flakes