02 Jan Broccoli Quinoa Miso Soup
Soups & Bowl Food
Broccoli Quinoa Miso Soup
This Vegan Broccoli Quinoa Miso Soup is a really feel good soup for me. I often have cooked plain quinoa in the fridge on a busy week so then this soup becomes a ‘ready in 10’ minutes dinner. When I’m feeling under the weather, I add extra ginger and I love this with quality chicken broth which I keep in the freezer.
- Add the stock, garlic, ginger, quinoa and whites of the spring onions to a medium saucepan along with a good pinch of sea salt & pepper. Pop the lid on then bring to the boil and turn down to a medium simmer for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep the broccoli by chopping the florets into small florets and slicing off the very hard knobby bits of the stem then chopping the inner stem into fine slices.
- After the quinoa has cooked for 12 minutes, give it a stir then add the broccoli stem and florets to sit on top of the quinoa and put the lid back on. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, stir or whisk the miso with a little hot water and the citrus juice then pour it into the pan and gently stir through and taste for seasoning.
- Serve up each bowl with a few ginger matchsticks on top, garnish with the greens of the spring onions and if using, the sesame seeds and chilli flakes
Bunch of spring onions finely chopped, separate the whites & green
1 thumb ginger, very finely sliced into matchsticks
2 tbsp miso (depending on the strength and saltiness)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
300g quinoa, drained and rinsed (soaked if you have the time)
1 large head broccoli, about 600g, including the stalk
1 – 1.2 litres quality veg/ chicken stock or broth
1 lemon or 1 lime
Sea salt & pepper
1 small handful black & white sesame seeds
A tiny dash of toasted sesame oil