12 Feb Cashew, Kale Pea Pasta Sauce
Cashew, Kale & Pea Pasta Sauce
This Cashew, Kale, Garlic & Pea Pasta Sauce is the ultimate feel-good, comforting and creamy green sauce. It’s smooth and creamy from the nuts and makes for a lovely vegan pasta sauce. But if like me, you fancy cheese on top, I grated lots of parmesan on at the end.
The inspiration for this recipe came from my friend Jamie Oliver’s *super green spaghetti* but I swapped his ricotta for cashews as I had a big jar in my cupboard that needed diving into and added in the frozen peas for extra green, extra creaminess and natural sweetness.
Feel free to add in any greens you’ve got that could need some love. And for extra heartiness, you could roast a tin of drained chickpeas or some broccoli and toss through. Serve with a big grating of your favourite cheese or sprinkle on some chilli flakes, a handful of chopped olives, capers, a few chopped anchovies, a squeeze of lemon or a touch of lemon zest if you like too.
Ps. Who likes this bowl? I made it!
For more waste-free recipes, get your hands on my brand new cookbook *Eat Green*.
- Bring a small pan of water and a big pan of water (for the pasta) to the boil with a big pinch of salt in each.
- To the small pan, add roughly chopped kale for 2 minutes and then add the peas for another minute then drain straight away and transfer to a blender.
- To the big pan, add the pasta and let cook for however long the instructions say.
- Back to the blender: add the garlic, olive oil, nuts, salt and pepper and a big splash of the hot pasta cooking water to blend until smooth. If it feels too thick, add a splash more. Taste for seasoning.
- Once the pasta is cooked al dente, drain and toss straight away with the green sauce then serve up with whatever extras you like on top.
150g kale (curly kale or cavolo Nero)
60g frozen peas
2 garlic cloves
60g nuts, I used cashews
8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Enough pasta for 4 people – your pref
Big splash of the hot pasta cooking water
Big pinch salt & pepper