03 Jul Chickpea & Pomegranate Soup
Soups and Bowl Food
Chickpea, Lemon & Pomegranate Soup
I love soup! It doesn’t matter what’s in it, there’s nothing more comforting than a big bowl of warm, hearty soup. Bulked up with chickpeas and flavoured with thyme and parsley, this herbaceous soup is great for between the seasons. If you can’t find pomegranate, you can easily skip this ingredient. For added sweetness, you can also roughly chop some dried cranberries to scatter on top.
- Heat coconut oil in a large wide pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add garlic, dried herbs, parsley stems (reserve leaves for serving) and leave to fry for a minute or until the garlic is golden around the edges.
- Add the stock/broth and bring to a high simmer. Lower heat, add the chickpeas, spinach or kale, sea salt and pepper and leave to simmer.
- After 5 minutes, turn off the heat. Add the fresh lemon juice and zest and taste for seasoning.
- Serve up each bowl and sprinkle with spring onions, pomegranate seeds and parsley leaves. Drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme or rosemary
- 1 large handful parsley, stems finely chopped. Reserve leaves, roughly chopped, to garnish
- 800ml quality broth or stock
- 3 x 400g tins cooked chickpeas (total 840g drained)
- 100g baby spinach or kale, chopped
- Juice of ½ – 1 lemon, to taste, plus lemon zest
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped on the angle
- 1 large handful of fresh pomegranate seeds
- Parsley leaves (see above)
- A drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil