14 Nov ‘Community’ Cookbook Coconut Chicken Curry
Soups & Bowl Food
‘Community’ Cookbook Coconut Chicken Curry
Celebrating the power of cooking and sharing food to strengthen communities with this Coconut Chicken Curry, courtesy of this book, #TOGETHER; a fundraising cookbook with the support of Kensington Royal.
All of the recipes are from the *Hubb Community Kitchen*; local women of Grenfell Tower who gathered together to cook for their families & neighbours to try to provide a sense of home back into their community.
Join me in cooking Aysha Bora’s comforting & absolutely delicious “Kuku Paka” chicken curry in celebration of loved ones & the communities we create that bring us together.
- Score each piece of the chicken in 2 or 3 places, slicing 1cm into the meat.
- Put tomato, onion, ginger, garlic, chillies, cumin, coriander, turmeric & salt & pepper into a food processor & blend to a rough paste. Rub 1/3 of the paste all over the chicken, into the cuts & under the skin; reserve the rest of the mixture. Refrigerate chicken for 1 hour – 5 hours.
- Preheat the grill to highest setting & line a large baking tin. In a large pan, melt the coconut oil on a medium heat; add the remaining paste & cook, stirring occasionally for 20 mins or until the moisture evaporates. Increase the heat slightly & cook for 3-5 mins until the paste is thick & dark. Add the coconut & simmer for 30 mins until thick.
- Meanwhile, put the marinated chicken, skin side up, in the lined baking tin & grill for 15 mins, until well colored & charred, then turn over & grill for another 5 mins to make sure it is cooked through.
- Stir the chicken & any juices into the curry pan, bring to a simmer, cover & cook for 5 mins until the flavors have combined. Add eggs, lemon juice & season to taste.
1 chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
1 large tomato, roughly chopped
1 onion, quartered
15g ginger, peeled
4 garlic cloves, peeled
6 serrano chillies, stems removed & de-seeded
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 x 400ml tins coconut milk
3 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled & halved
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt & pepper
10g fresh coriander, chopped, to garnish
Rice, chapatis, flatbreads, quinoa