26 Mar Cosy Lentil Veg chilli
Soups & Bowl Food
Cosy Lentil Veg chilli
Lentil Veg Chilli (great for your halloween pumpkins) & a cosy crowd pleaser for all the family. It’s easy to make, simple to adapt, good for batch cooking & it’s easily transportable in a hot flask or transfer to a big mug for a winter warmer stroll to the park to get some fresh air!
The toppings make it super special – I like a swirl of creamy kefir or yoghurt on top of my chilli, along with quickly pickled red cabbage, or pink pickled onions, coriander (swap for mint if you’re not a coriander fan) & lime wedges – you could also add jalapenos or grated cheese on top too – let everyone in your family help themselves to toppings to build their own chilli bowls.
When pumpkin is out of season, this would be delicious with roasted sweet potato. Serve your chilli with either rice/quinoa or stuffed in wraps.
- Preheat oven 220C & grab a big roasting tray. Carefully slice the pumpkin in half (I keep the peel on), scoop out innards (wash seeds & save for toasting later). Chop into 1 inch chunks, toss in the tray with 2 tbsp olive oil/coconut oil plus ½ tbsp cumin & 1tsp dried oregano & big pinch sea salt & pepper. Save the rest of the spices for the chilli. Roast for 30mins (after 20mins remove the tray from the oven, toss & return to the oven).
- For the chilli – in a large pan, fry onions in 2 tbsp coconut/olive oil for 10mins, stirring every now & then. Add the rest of the spices & oregano & big pinch s&p for the last few mins.
- Add tomato paste, stir & fry for a minute then add the pepper (& pumpkin chunks if you’re not roasting them)
- Add red lentils, tomatoes, veg stock, stir very well, turn heat up, pop the lid on & bring to a strong simmer. Make sure you check on liquid levels & stir the bottom of the pan well so the lentils don’t catch. If in doubt, lower the heat & add more liquid.
- After 15mins, add cooked beans & maple syrup & cook for another 10mins until the lentil & veg are tender. Season to taste.
- Serve up each bowl with a swirl of creamy kefir. I like to sprinkle extra oregano & chilli on top with red cabbage, lime & coriander, enjoy!
*Tag me in your recipes on Instagram*
1 big red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
1.4kg (approx 6 big handfuls roughly chopped pumpkin/ squash)
300g red lentils
1 big pepper
1.2 litres veg stock
2 tins tomatoes
2 tins black beans
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp dried oregano
1.5 tsp ground coriander
1.5 tbsp ground cumin or 2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Creamy swirl of organic kefir or yoghurt
Fresh coriander, chop stems & add to chilli
shaved raw red cabbage tossed in lime juice & a sprinkle of salt for 5 mins
If you have any – coriander/lime/lemon/Jalapenos