29 Jun Easy Breezy Chickpea Chopped Salad
Salads & Sides
Easy Breezy Chickpea Chopped Salad
This big chickpea chopped salad is the easy breezy satisfying summer crowd pleaser you all need. (Not to eat with a crowd, you know what I mean. Everyone likes it!)
My friend Dan @vegpoweruk told me that tonnes and tonnes of tomatoes, cucumber and asparagus are going to waste at the moment (because of school and restaurant closures etc) so I’m cooking and eating as many as possible and they’re my hero summer inspiration. Use whatever you’ve got that needs some love for this satisfying salad! If you don’t have chickpeas you can use any beans.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients in a big mixing bowl.
- Add the onion & cooked chickpeas. Stir & leave. (If you love raw onion, like me, save some for garnishing).
- Toast the nuts or seeds for a few minutes in a dry frying pan until golden.
- Chop everything else and add to the bowl. Don’t mix yet.
- When you’re ready to eat, mix it all up, taste for seasoning and top with the toasted nuts or seeds. Enjoy!
560g cooked chickpeas (any beans) equivalent of 2 tins
300g ripe mixed tomatoes
1 medium cucumber, diced
1 small fennel/2 celery sticks/radish
2 big handfuls red cabbage
250g good mozzarella or feta
1 big head of lettuce or 4 baby gem
Big handful olives, pitted and halved
1 finely diced red onion or spring onions
Big handful nuts/seeds – any you like
Big handful fresh herbs – any mix of basil, mint, parsley, coriander, dill
Honey mustard dressing:
2 tsp raw honey or maple syrup
2 tsp mustard like dijon
8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar /1 juicy lemon
1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
Sea salt & pepper, to taste