18 Mar Fairtrade Hazelnut Raisin Banana Bread
Sweets & Puddings
Hazelnut & Raisin Fairtrade Banana Bread
This fairtrade recipe is based on one of the very first banana breads I ever baked over 10 years ago as a private chef with my sister for Hemsley + Hemsley. I’ve updated the recipe below with added crunch from sesame seeds and hazelnuts and juiciness from raisins, you can also add chocolate chunks too if you fancy.
This recipe is a great way to enjoy wonderful Fairtrade ingredients. Please look out for Fairtrade whenever you shop and if your local shop doesn’t stock Fairtrade products like chocolate, spices, vanilla, bananas, coffee, tea…. please put in a good word on behalf of all the Fairtrade farmers out there.
Recipe makes 1 bread in a 9in x 5in pan, approx 12 slices.
- Preheat the oven to 170C and melt the butter in a small saucepan and allow to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl mash the bananas to a pulp with a fork.
- Add the maple syrup, butter, cinnamon, vanilla extract, eggs, bicarbonate of soda and lemon juice (the lemon juice activates the bicarb). Mix well with a whisk.
- Add the ground almonds, ground flaxseed (I blitzed mine briefly in my blender) and 2 tablespoons of whole flaxseed, hazelnuts, raisins (and chocolate chunks if using) and mix well.
- Grease the loaf tin with butter or line with a reusable parchment paper (I use this paper after baking to wrap the bread in) then pour in the batter and scatter over extra flaxseeds and sesame seeds for extra crunch then bake for about 60 minutes (insert a skewer in the middle which will come out clean when it’s baked). Let cool in the tin for 20 – 30 mins then turn out and slice.
3 medium very ripe Fairtrade bananas, around 300g (weight when peeled)
3 medium eggs
30g salted butter (if unsalted, add a little pinch of sea salt)
2 tbsps of quality maple syrup
1 tsp Fairtrade vanilla extract
1 tsp ground Fairtrade cinnamon
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
juice of 1/2 lemon
220g ground almonds
25g ground flaxseed
2 tbsps of whole flaxseed plus 1 extra tbsp for the top of the bread
a handful hazelnuts, I kept mine whole
a handful raisins
1 tbsp black and white sesame seeds / more seeds for extra crunch on top
a handful roughly chopped Fairtrade chocolate or chocolate chips