03 Jul Farmers’ Market Vegetable Soup
Soups and Bowl Food
Farmers’ Market Vegetable Soup
Any vegetable can be used in this hearty soup so let your local grocer or, better yet, local farmers’ market, be your guide. Generally go for vegetables that are in abundance (which usually means they’re cheaper, too). In the summer, swap in courgettes, fennel, fresh peas and broad peas instead of these root vegetables but, just bear in mind, most summer veg take less time to cook. Play around with herbs, try basil and oregano instead of parsley and rosemary and look out for wild garlic (it’s delicious if you can get your hands on it!).
- Melt the ghee or butter in a large wide pan, add the onion/leek, carrots and celery and fry over a medium heat for 6 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the garlic, herbs, parsley stalks and mixed root vegetables, and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the stock/broth and bring to a medium simmer, then cook with the lid on for 10–12 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add the leafy greens. If using spinach, cook for 1 minute until wilted. If using any of the other greens, shred first, removing any thick stems or core, and simmer for 2–3 minutes until tender.
- Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with the chopped parsley leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
- 1 ½ tbsp ghee (or butter)
- 1 large onion or leek, diced or sliced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried rosemary or thyme or 1 tbsp fresh leaves
- 1 large handful of fresh parsley, stems finely chopped and leaves roughly chopped (to serve)
- 500g mixed root vegetables (such as swede, celeriac, parsnip or butternut squash), peeled and diced into 1 ½ cm cubes
- 1 litre quality bone broth or stock (use vegetable for vegan and vegetarian)
- 200g leafy greens (such as spinach/ kale/ cabbage/ cavolo nero or chard)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling