03 Jul Farmers’ Market Vegetable Soup
Soups and Bowl Food
Farmers’ Market Vegetable Soup
Any vegetable can be used in this hearty soup so let your local grocer or, better yet, local farmers’ market, be your guide. Generally go for vegetables that are in abundance (which usually means they’re cheaper, too). In the summer, swap in courgettes, fennel, fresh peas and broad peas instead of these root vegetables but, just bear in mind, most summer veg take less time to cook. Play around with herbs, try basil and oregano instead of parsley and rosemary and look out for wild garlic (it’s delicious if you can get your hands on it!).
- Melt the ghee or butter in a large wide pan, add the onion/leek, carrots and celery and fry over a medium heat for 8 minutes or until starting to soften, stirring from time to time.
- Stir in the garlic, herbs, parsley stalks and mixed root vegetables, and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the stock/broth and lentils, lid on, and bring to a medium simmer for 20-30 minutes until the veg and lentils are cooked.
- Add the leafy greens. If using spinach, cook for 1 minute until wilted. If using any of the other greens, remove any thick stems or core, and simmer for 2–3 minutes until tender.
- Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with the chopped parsley leaves or chives and a drizzle of olive oil.
- 1 ½ tbsp ghee or butter
- 1 large onion or leek, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried rosemary or thyme or 1 tbsp fresh leaves
- 1 large handful of fresh parsley, or chives, chopped and leaves roughly chopped (to serve)
- 500g mixed root vegetables (such as swede, celeriac, parsnip or butternut squash), peeled and diced into cubes
- 1.5 litre quality bone broth or stock (use vegetable for vegan and vegetarian)
200g lentils (I used brown but you can use green or Puy) washed and picked
- 200g leafy greens (such as cavolo nero / spinach/ kale/ cabbage or chard)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling