03 Jul Fried Halloumi Red Cabbage Salad
Salads and Small Plates
Fried Halloumi Red Cabbage Salad
This epic dish combines fried halloumi with shredded crunchy cabbage, fresh herbs and lots of zingy lemon to create a satisfying salad. I love serving this as part of a summer Sunday lunch spread or for a light dinner. You can also serve with pan-fried chicken or crumbled with feta instead of the halloumi.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients in a large serving platter or large bowl and mix with a fork or whisk.
- Prepare the cabbage by removing the outer leaves and the core. Slice into quarters, then finely shred. Add to the platter together with the spring onions and herbs and toss to combine.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a hot dry frying pan for 30 seconds until they pop. Then set aside to allow to cool.
- In the same pan as you toasted the pumpkin seeds, add the ghee and fry the halloumi until lightly golden on all sides. Then scatter the halloumi over the salad, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and serve immediately.
- 1 medium red cabbage, approx 500g
- 2 spring onions, chopped or ¼ onion finely chopped
- 1 large handful chopped fresh herbs (parsley, mint, coriander or a mix)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds or any nut or seed of your choice, to serve
- 2 tsp ghee/butter/coconut oil
- 1 x 250g pack halloumi, sliced into 8
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon (3 tbsp of juice and the zest of ¼ lemon)
- 1 tsp raw maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper