03 Jul Harissa Chickpea & Kale Stew
Soups and Bowl Food
Harissa Chickpea & Kale Stew
Ready in 20 minutes, I like to make a batch of this and have it for a packed lunch in a thermos during the week. I’ve used kale here as I had a huge bunch to use up but swap in chard, cavolo nero or shredded cabbage.
- In a wide saucepan, fry the onion in ghee or coconut oil for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, harissa, parsley stalks and carrots and fry for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and stock/broth and turn up the heat to a medium simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and kale for a final 4 minutes or until the carrots and kale are tender. Season to taste.
- Divide between bowls, garnish with parsley leaves and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with feta (or dollop with yoghurt) and serve with lemon wedges.
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp harissa powder or paste – to taste
- Parsley stalks (fresh parsley used below), finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 x 400ml tin chopped tomatoes
- 600ml quality bone broth or stock
- 3 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained weight (840g) or use 840g cooked chickpeas
- 200g kale / chard / or other greens, sliced into 1cm ribbons
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large handful fresh parsley, (finely chop the parsley stalks for above) and roughly chopped leaves, for garnishing
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- Feta or yoghurt to serve
- 1 lemon in wedges