05 Jan Hasselback Squash with Sprout Slaw
Hasselback Squash with Roasted Grapes & a Sprout & Blue Cheese Slaw
Give squash the hasselback treatment with this HasselBack Squash with Roasted Grapes and a Sprout and Blue Cheese Slaw from my cookbook Eat Green. Perfect as a meat-free Christmas centre piece, or a celebratory supper when Squash is in season. Use any dried fruit you have at home and feel free to swap the cheese for any leftovers that need some love.
- Preheat the oven to fan 220°C/Gas mark 9 and carefully slice the squash in half lengthways. Be sure to use a sharp knife. Scoop out the seeds, wash and dry them.
- Roast the two halves in a large roasting tray, cut-side down, for 30 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and put each squash half onto a chopping board. Slice across the halves, every 0.5cm, making sure not to cut all the way through to the board, before putting back in the roasting tray. Rub ghee and a good amount of salt and pepper into the squash, scatter around the garlic and roast for another 15 minutes.
- Add the grapes, herbs, orange slices and squash seeds to the tray and spoon over the maple syrup. Turn up the heat to 240°C for a final 5–10 minutes until the edges look golden and crisp.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare the sprout slaw. Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a mixing bowl and season to taste.
- Use a food processor or knife to finely chop the sprouts, then transfer to the bowl with the dressing and toss with the other ingredients.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins, mash with a fork and serve alongside the squash and the slaw.
1 large squash (about 1.5kg), save the seeds
2 tbsp ghee or oil
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 big bunch of grapes (black or red look best), bunch split in half
8 bay leaves
4 rosemary or thyme sprigs
1 orange, sliced into rounds
2 tbsp maple syrup
Sea salt & black pepper
For the Sprout & Blue Cheese Slaw:
500g small brussel sprouts, finely shredded
1 big handful walnuts, pecans or almonds
1 large apple, chopped into matchsticks
1 big handful dried fruit such as cranberries or raisins
1 handful of blue cheese, Cheddar, pecorino or crumbled feta
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
For the dressing:
9 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp raw honey or maple syrup