04 Dec Hot Halloumi, Fennel and Apple Salad
Hot Halloumi, Fennel and Apple Salad
This Hot Halloumi, Fennel and Apple Salad is a perfect combination. Even in the Winter, you’re probably craving something fresh and crunchy so this salad ticks the boxes. The fennel, apple, leaves and herbs make for the refreshing half and then the chickpeas and halloumi are fried up with spices and a touch of maple syrup to make them a bit sticky and sweet. If you’ve got any apples turning a little brown, then add them in to this to stop them going to waste. Make this vegan by skipping out the halloumi and upping the chickpeas.
- Add all the dressing ingredients together in a jar and shake to combine, or alternatively whisk together in a small bowl then set aside.
- On a large serving platter, add the fennel, apple, rocket, herbs and chicory and set aside.
- In a large frying pan add the oil and paprika and stir for a minute over a medium heat.
- Turn up the heat, add the chickpeas and halloumi and maple syrup, tossing in the spicy, sweet oil and fry for 45 seconds until golden brown. Toss again and fry the halloumi on the other side for another 30 seconds and then turn off the heat.
- Add the chickpeas and halloumi to the rest of the salad ingredients and toss together with the dressing and enjoy straight away.
1 tbsp coconut oil or your choice of oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, (drained weight 240g)
250g halloumi, chopped into 2cm cubes
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 bulb of fennel, halved and thinly sliced and fronds
1 green apple, cored and thinly sliced (and covered in lemon juice to stop them from going brown)
4 Large handfuls of rocket leaves or watercress
1 head of yellow or red chicory, end sliced off and leaves separated
Large handful of mint leaves
Large handful of parsley leaves
Juice and zest of 1 unwaxed lime
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper