30 Jun Mexican Chicken Soup
Mexican Chicken Soup
Across the globe, chicken soup is appreciated as one of the most comforting meals but this spiced and zingy Mexican version takes it one step further. You could swap the chicken for fish or use three tins of black beans (or any beans), as a vegetarian option.
- Fry the onions in ghee/coconut oil in a large saucepan for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, spices, oregano, peppers, carrots and coriander stems and fry for another 1 minute.
- Turn up the heat and add chicken, tinned tomatoes and stock/broth. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pop the lid on and leave the chicken to cook on a medium simmer, about 20 – 25 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through (pierce with a knife to check). Using two forks, remove the chicken and place in a wide dish to rest.
- Add your choice of greens to the pan and allow to cook for 1- 2 minutes (cook the spinach for 1 minute, the others for 2 minutes), then turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken using two forks and then return to the pan, along with the juice of ½ a lime. Stir well and season to taste. Serve up each bowl topped with avocado (sprinkled with salt), fresh coriander leaves, lime wedges, jalapenos and any of the other toppings of your choice (cheese, sour cream, chives or spring onions).
**I much prefer using thighs over breast but if using chicken breast, use about 350g and simmer for 12 – 15 minutes until cooked through, then slice instead of shredding**
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ghee (butter or coconut oil)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne or chilli powder, to taste
- 2 tsp dried oregano or thyme
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow or orange pepper, roughly chopped
- 4 small carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1 large handful of coriander stems (leaves reserved for serving)
- 4 chicken thighs (about 500g). Alternatively, you can use 350g leftover
- shredded roast chicken and add to the soup in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- 1 x 400ml tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml quality bone broth or stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g spinach or chard / kale or other greens, thinly sliced
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 large ripe avocado, chopped into cubes
- 1 large handful coriander, roughly chopped leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Sliced jalapeño peppers
- A handful of grated cheese or sour cream
- A handful of chives or spring onions