03 Jul Moroccan Meatball Chickpea Salad
Salads and Small Plates
Moroccan Meatball Chickpea Salad
This is a quick, herb-packed salad for when you’re craving a fresh but flavoursome lunch or light dinner. To make it into more of a main meal, add a second tin of chickpeas or other beans, some cooked lentils, quinoa or roasted vegetables. The meatballs are delicious served hot or cold.
- Split open the sausage skin and squeeze out all the minced meat and place in a bowl. Add cumin and a squeeze of lemon juice and stir to combine. Using your hands, form 18 equal-sized meatballs.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and melt the ghee or coconut oil. Fry the meatballs for 3 mins on each side or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine all the dressing ingredients in a large serving platter or bowl. Then add the feta, drained chickpeas, olives, parsley, mint and chilli. Toss to combine.
- Just before serving, top the salad with meatballs.
- 400g pork sausages or mince of your choice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Big squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (if sausage meat not already seasoned)
- 100g feta, crumbled or goats cheese
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed, total weight 280g
- 100g olives or sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large handful parsley, leaves roughly chopped, stems finely chopped
- 1 large handful mint leaves / dill / coriander
- Fresh red chilli, sliced, to taste or 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, juice of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper