25 Aug Mum’s Filipino Tinola Style Soup
Soups & Bowl Food
Mum’s Filipino Tinola Style Soup
This Filipino gingery *tinola* style soup that my Mum always makes is super speedy to make and packed with veg in a super tasty ginger garlic broth. I love it with Chicken broth but feel free to use veg broth and skip the fish sauce if that’s not your thing.
If you’ve got any leftover cooked chicken from a roast, you can add this in too. This would also be lovely served with cooked quinoa or noodles but rice is traditional.
For more Filipino recipes, head here.
1.In a large saucepan, gently fry the onions, garlic & ginger in the oil until softened for about 10 mins. Use the time to chop everything else.
2. Turn up the heat, add the carrots & squash/sweet pot (if using)& sea salt & pepper & let fry for a few mins.
3. Add the stock/broth, pop the lid on, bring to the boil then reduce to a medium simmer for 5 mins.
4. Add the courgettes (if using) & cook for another 10 mins until the veg are just tender.
5. Add the cabbage/greens, tamari & fish sauce for a final few mins (plus cooked quinoa /noodles etc if using).
6. Season to taste with (white) pepper, you might not need salt because of the tamari and fish sauce, and serve up each bowl letting everyone add their own extra sauce.
1 large onion, diced
1 tbsp coconut oil or butter
5 fat cloves of garlic, finely chopped
20g / 1 fat thumb ginger, finely grated or chopped
150g / 2 large carrots, chopped 2cm
600g courgettes/ squash /sweet potato, chopped 1 inch, in season
400g greens eg pak choy, cabbage shredded or spinach
1 litre veg stock/chicken broth (if not veggie)
1.5 – 2 tbsp tamari, to taste
2 tsp fish sauce (if not veggie) or extra tamari
Juice of 1/4 lemon
good pinch of white or black pepper
For extra sauce on the side
2 tbsps of tamari
2 tbsps lemon juice
Large pinch of (white) pepper