05 Dec One Pan Chickpea Shakshuka
Breakfast & Brunch
So tasty & super simple, this Chickpea Shakshuka is one pan (meaning minimal washing up) and great for any meal of the day. This is everything you love about traditional shakshuka but made vegan, so everything without the eggs! Instead, you get lovely smokey, saucy chickpeas.
This is delicious for any meal so save it for a quick Monday supper or make a big batch if you’ve got friends coming over for a weekend brunch. Try adding any extra veg you have that needs using up, such as kale or peas from the freezer. And if you’re not vegan, add a sprinkle of feta or even crack some eggs into the mix.
Cooked from scratch chickpeas will always win (texture wise) but my second fave are the jarred chickpeas but tinned ones work just as well for speed and ease.
- Fry onions for 5 minutes while you get on with chopping everything.
- Add peppers for 5 minutes then add the garlic & spices for a few more minutes.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, sea salt & pepper, stir well & allow to simmer on a medium heat with the lid on.
- Take the lid off & add the cooked chickpeas & maple syrup & bubble away for the final 10 minutes to reduce down.
- If you’re adding eggs, make a gap in the sauce for each egg & crack each one in, season with a little salt & pepper & pop in the oven for 3-5 minutes until the whites are set.
- Drizzle olive oil on top & scatter with herbs.
1 tbsp coconut oil/ghee/butter (if not vegan)
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 red peppers, sliced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 x 400g tins of chopped or cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 jars or 3 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained weight approx 840g
2 tsp maple syrup
sea salt & pepper
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 – 1 tsp cayenne/chilli flakes/fresh chilli to taste
Extra virgin olive oil
Large handful parsley/coriander
Options: eggs, feta, drizzle of yoghurt