01 Dec Orange spiced Gingerbread Women
Sweets, Puddings & Baking
Orange Spiced Gingerbread Women
Hang this off your Christmas tree if you like or spread the love and bake a double batch and share with colleagues, friends and neighbours! I’ve made gingerbread women but use any of your cookie cutters to make stars, hearts galore! Ground almonds are easy to get hold of and so easy to bake with. I opted for simple orange rind and raisins for decoration but feel free to get as creative as you like.
- Combine the ground almonds, ground ginger, cinnamon, sea salt, baking soda and orange zest thoroughly in a mixing bowl with a spoon.
- Mix in the maple syrup until well combined. Press the dough together to make a big ball- it should be sticky and hold it’s form then place in the freezer for 5 minutes to chill slightly.
- Roll out between two sheets of baking paper until it’s about 2mm thick.
- Use your cutter to cut the shapes out, re-rolling the dough and re-cutting until you’ve used all the dough.
- Place on a lined baking tray, pop some raisins in to make faces (if you want to) and bake at 180C for 10-12 minutes until browned on the edges.
- Allow to cool before getting creative with your decorations. Store in an airtight glass or tin container to keep them crunchy.
- 230g ground almonds
- 2.5 tbs of ginger powder – or less if you don’t like the burn!
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- zest of one unwaxed orange
- 85g (1/3 cup) of maple syrup
- Optional raisins and orange rind for decorations!