19 Oct Quinoa, Kale, Lentil Tomato Soup
Soups & bowl food
Quinoa Kale Lentil Tomato Soup
This quinoa, lentil & kale tomato soup is everything I want when the weather gets cooler. It’s warming, comforting and doesn’t involve too much thought or time, plus it was created with love from a “use up what’s left in my cupboards” situation… so an added bonus to minimise food waste. You can swap in anything you’ve got that might like to go in this too and use any greens. This is also a great one for batch cooking; to have for lunch or take to work, freeze for a rainy day or cook extra for a neighbour or loved one.
- Heat oil in large saucepan & fry onions, celery & carrot for 8 mins, stirring until softened.
- Add garlic, ginger & spices & big pinch salt& pepper, fry for 1 min. Push to one side then add the tomato purée & cook it out for a min or so until a shade darker then re-stir the pan.
- Add rinsed lentils, quinoa, tinned tomatoes & stock (swish out the last bits in the tomato tin with a little stock). Turn up heat, cover & bring to a boil. Once bubbling, remove the lid, turn down to a medium simmer & cook for 12-15 mins until quinoa & lentils are cooked. If it’s starting to look a little thick for your liking, pop the lid back on. Stir very well, several times, to make sure the quinoa and lentils don’t catch at the bottom of the pan.
- Meanwhile, chop the cavolo nero & stir in for a final 2 minutes or so until tender but still retaining it’s beautiful colour.
- Take off heat & season to taste. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, yoghurt, chilli flakes & coriander, or whatever you fancy.
2 ½ tbsp coconut oil, ghee or oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp grated or finely chopped ginger
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1.5 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp tomato puree
200g quinoa, rinsed & drained
250g red lentils, rinsed & drained
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1.5 litre veg stock
200g cavolo nero or kale
Sea salt & pepper