14 Nov Roast Squash & Parmesan Sage Salad
Salads & Sides
Roast Squash & Parmesan Sage Salad
This roast squash & parmesan sage salad is delicious served hot as a sharing salad. I love an onion squash here but you can use any type of pumpkin or squash for this. You’ll use the whole squash, wasting nothing, including the skin and the squash seeds which get roasted until crispy. You could swap the parmesan for pecorino, feta or burrata and the watercress for rocket or finely sliced chicory or radicchio. Any leftovers make for a great packed lunch.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C, carefully slice the squash in half, remove the seeds with a spoon and set to one side in a bowl. Then slice each half of the squash into 2 cm thick boats, you should get about 12 – 14 boats total.
- Peel, half and quarter the red onions and pop the squash and onions on a very large baking tray.
- Drizzle everything in the tray with oil (or melt the ghee and drizzle over) and season generously with salt & pepper. Roast the squash for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden and sticky. Half way through cooking, carefully remove the tray and give the veg a good toss about.
- Meanwhile, clean the seeds a little removing any big bits of squash pulp and scatter the seeds over another roasting tray, drizzle with the remaining olive oil /ghee and sea salt & pepper and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden and crisp, tossing them halfway through
- Chop the red chili (remove the seeds if you don’t want too much heat) and add to a frying pan with the butter. Once it starts to bubble away, grate in the lemon zest and throw in the sage leaves for a few minutes until they are crisp.
- Remove the trays of squash and seeds and choose to either serve up straight from the tray or onto a serving platter. Drizzle the spicy lemon butter over the squash tray, squeeze over the lemon juice and scatter over the fresh watercress. Finally, take a peeler and grate the parmesan over the tray to serve.
Recipes created in partnership with John Lewis and Partners for AEG Ovens
1 large onion squash, roughly 700g or any type of pumpkin
3 red onions
100ml of olive oil or 3 tbs of ghee
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
1 red chili
80g of butter
1 small bunch of sage, about a handful
Sea salt & pepper
100g of watercress