14 Aug Roasted Sweet Potato & Halloumi Salad
Salads & sides
Roasted Sweet Potato & Halloumi Salad
This roasted sweet potato salad with fried halloumi, avocado & toasted pumpkin seeds is the perfect salad come rain or shine! I threw it together on a drizzly August day, ran out in the rain to grab rocket, tomatoes & herbs from my veg planters in the garden & made this for a comforting lunch when I wanted something a little warmer. Inspired by my trip to Crete but made in rainy London. Use whatever leafy greens you have to hand, I used rocket, but anything would work well. And if you don’t have sweet potatoes, roast whatever you’ve got; carrots, summer squash or courgettes would be delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 220C & melt most of the coconut oil in a large roasting tray.
- Meanwhile slice the sweet potatoes into wedges, carefully toss them in the hot oil with sea & pepper and roast for around 25/30 minutes, turning halfway until golden & just tender.
- Shake the dressing ingredients in a jam jar or whisk in a bowl & arrange the leaves, tomatoes & avocado on a large serving platter & drizzle over half the dressing
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a large frying pan for a minute until they start to ‘pop’ then set them aside. Put the pan back on the heat, melt the remaining oil & fry the halloumi on high for 1 minute on each side then add the roasted sweet potato & halloumi to the plate, scatter with the pumpkin seeds, fresh herbs & the rest of the dressing
- 250g pack of halloumi, sliced
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (or summer squash or courgettes)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, ghee or oil
- 1 large handful of pumpkin seeds or nuts or seeds of your choice
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved or 2 large tomatoes
- 1-2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 4 large handfuls of salad leaves or leafy greens
- 2 handfuls of fresh herbs like basil & mint
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or ½ a lemon
- 1 tsp raw honey or maple syrup
- Sea salt & pepper