17 Jan 6 Self Care Ideas For Winter
6 Self Care Ideas To See You Through Winter
It’s tempting to hide indoors during these darker months, but after too many days spent cooped up, we can start to feel disconnected from the world around us.
Here are 6 self care ideas that tend to get me through winter and that leave me feel revived, nourished and altogether a lot happier.
1. Eat with the seasons. Go to your local market and see what the traders have in stock. I’m really into making fruit and vegetable chutneys, which is a great way to use up any produce that’s a bit soft or bruised. Pot the mixture in upcycled jam jars and give away to family and friends. Or take a look at these seasonal winter recipes I’m eating at the moment.
2. Get active outdoors. It doesn’t have to be a slog. Try cold-water swimming in your local lido or out in the wild (look up my friend Sophie Hellyer for some inspiration). You could borrow a dog and take it for a walk via the Borrow My Doggy app. I often join my local Mental Health Mates walk which I love to do when I want to reconnect with people and get some exercise.
3. Volunteer! Head to your local beach or park clean or go out by yourself for a spot of ‘plogging’ – the Swedish term for jogging while picking up rubbish and litter. Alternatively, find a soup kitchen to give back to those who really do need it.
4. Prioritise yourself. Take time out for yourself, turn off your phone and read a book, or go to a yoga class or a breath and meditation workshop – they’re enormously calming and rejuvenating.
5. Get some glorious girlfriend time or invite friends or a neighbour around for tea and cake. Use up those odds and ends in your baking cupboards to make these Fruit n Nut Cookies, with a delicious mug of spiced Chai.
6. Whack on a good podcast and have a cook off. I like to spend my Sundays cooking from my fridge and store cupboards, giving them a good clean out and making some much-loved soups, as well as chucking some leftovers in the freezer so I’m well stocked with feel-good meals over January and February.
What do you do to take care of yourself? Leave a comment below or head over to Instagram to let me know!