07 Jul Shredded Chicken, Carrot & Dill Soup
Soups and Bowl Food
Shredded Chicken, Carrot & Dill Soup
If you’ve got any leftover roast chicken, this dish makes a great leftover lunch. Using stock-standard ingredients like frozen peas, onion, garlic and carrot, this is a recipe for lazy days when you don’t want to leave the house. If you’re not a dill fan, swap for parsley or chervil. You can also swap frozen peas for broad beans.
- In a large wide pan, heat the ghee/butter and fry the leek or onions on a medium heat for 5 minutes while you prep everything else.
- Add the garlic and dried thyme and cook for another minute. Add the carrots, a pinch of sea salt and pepper and let fry for a further minute.
- Add the stock/broth and simmer on high for 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Add the peas, leftover cooked chicken, lemon juice/vinegar and half the dill for a final 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Taste for seasoning (I like lots of pepper). Divide between bowls, scatter with the rest of the dill and serve.
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter
- 1 leek or onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme or rosemary
- 350g cooked chicken, shredded
- 4 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 800ml quality vegetable stock or broth
- 2 large handfuls of frozen peas
- Juice of ¼ lemon or ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 handful of dill, freshly chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper