07 Jul Sichuan-Style Smashed Cucumbers
Salads and Small Plates
Sichuan-Style Smashed Cucumbers
Smashing is a classic Chinese technique which breaks open the cucumber’s skin, helps release the seeds and splits the flesh into delicious chunks. This spicy sesame dressing is punchy and addictive, so watch out! Start this recipe ahead of time as the dressing needs time to marinate the cucumbers.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Smash the cucumber with a rolling pin, a meat pounder or even the back of a saucepan! Then slice into chunks and toss in the bowl with the dressing and leave to sit in the fridge for 30 mins or longer.
- Toss again and serve, scattered with sesame seeds and coriander.
- 1 large cucumber
- Sea salt
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes, or to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Fresh coriander