07 Jul Smoked Mackerel & Beetroot Salad
Salads and Small Plates
Smoked Mackerel & Beetroot Salad
This makes a great packed lunch, just take the dressing with you in a jar and toss at the last minute. If you can’t find smoked mackerel, any fish works well here, I also love hot smoked trout and salmon or swap in some cooked shredded chicken. I’ve used cooked beetroot here but you can easily buy raw and cook it yourself. Wrap unpeeled (raw) beetroot in foil and roast in a moderate oven for 35-40 minutes or until soft when pierced with a skewer. Then peel off the skin (using gloves) and roughly chop. Alternatively, you can add your beetroots to a large saucepan of water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until just tender, about 30 to 40 minutes (depending on size).
- Using your hands or two forks, gently flake the smoked mackerel and place in a large serving bowl.
- Add cooked beetroot and salad leaves and gently toss to combine.
- Pour over dressing ingredients, again tossing to combine.
- If eating immediately, top the salad with avocado and sprinkle with mixed nuts.
- 400g smoked mackerel, flaked (peel the skin off if you like, I like it though)
- 250g cooked beetroot, roughly chopped
- 100g salad leaves (watercress, rocket, kale)
- 1 large avocado, roughly chopped
- 1 handful mixed rough chopped nuts or seeds (e.g. pistachios, pecans and pumpkin seeds)
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper