20 Nov Spiced Cauliflower Steaks on Green Bean Hummus
Spiced Cauliflower Steaks on Green Bean Hummus
These Spiced Cauliflower steaks on Green Bean Hummus with red cabbage slaw, steal the show of any dinner party but are super simple for a mid-week dinner too. The green bean hummus is a great way to use up parsley and coriander stalks that are looking a little wilted & save the leaves for garnishing so there’s no waste, just like the cauliflower leaves which are used here too.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C and slice the cauliflower into 2 x 1 inch thick steaks. Roughly chop any remaining florets and put in a roasting tray with 1tbs ghee / coconut oil, 1 tbsp spices, sea salt & pepper and 2 large handfuls of chickpeas and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, adding the chopped leaves halfway through and tossing everything together
- Melt the remaining ghee / coconut oil in a large frying pan and fry the steaks for 2 minutes on each side then add the remaining tbsp spice mix and carefully turn again, coating the steaks in the spice. Cook for a further 2 minutes until just tender.
- Meanwhile finely chop the red cabbage for the slaw and mix the slaw ingredients together in a medium bowl, season to taste.
- Blitz the hummus ingredients with the parsley and coriander stalks, the remaining drained chickpeas, taste for seasoning then distribute the green humus between 2 plates and top with the hot cauliflower steak and the florets and leaves. Serve the slaw on top or on the side.
- 1 medium cauliflower, save the leaves, about 800g
- 2 tbsp spice mix like harissa/berbere/garam masala/baharat/chermoula
- 2 tbsp coconut oil/ghee
- Green hummus
2 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained total 480g (save 2 handfuls)
- 1 fat clove garlic
- 1 small handful parsley stalks
- 1 small handful coriander stalks
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons
- 4tbs water (or enough until you’re happy with consistency)
- Sea salt & pepper
½ a small red cabbage, about 300g
- 1 handful pistachios / almonds
- The parsley and coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- rest of the lemon juice / lime
- Sea salt and pepper