14 Nov Spiced & poached pears with coconut yoghurt
Sweets & Puddings
Spiced & Poached Pears with Coconut Yoghurt
This looks impressive but is so easy and you can prep it in advance. The pears are beautifully poached in spices then drizzled with a lovely sticky sauce and topped with crunchy coconut flakes and cashews. It’s a vegan recipe but if you prefer you could swap the coconut yoghurt for thick creme fraiche or vanilla ice-cream.
- Peel the pears and pop them in a medium saucepan along with the rose wine, star anise, cinnamon, maple syrup and 500ml of water. Put the lid on, bring to a boil and straight away turn down to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Whilst the pears are simmering, in a medium bowl, mix or whisk the lime zest & juice, and vanilla extract and yogurt together until thick and smooth.
- Put a frying pan on a low heat and gently toast the coconut and chopped cashews until golden, set aside
- When the pears are tender, remove and place to one side. Put the pan back on a high heat, lid off and reduce down until you have a sticky thick sauce.
- When you’re ready to serve, take 4 shallow bowls, place a lovely big dollop of yogurt onto each and top with a pear then drizzle over a little of the liquid and top with the toasted coconut and chopped cashews.
4 ripe blush pears
500ml of rosé wine
2 Star anise
1 Cinnamon stick
150ml of maple syrup
250g of coconut yogurt
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 large handful coconut flakes
1 large handful of cashews, roughly chopped