01 Nov Spicy Black Bean Soup
Soups & Bowl Food
Spicy Black Bean Soup
This soup is so quick and easy to pull together with everyday store cupboard ingredients. I like the freshness and zing of all the extras but it’s lovely and simple too and also vegan if you use coconut oil. It’s hearty on it’s own but you can top with leftover chicken, quinoa, a hot wrap , pile of greens or salad if you fancy making it go a little further! Naturally, I topped mine with avocado…
- In a medium saucepan, fry the onion in ghee/coconut oil for 5 minutes to soften while you get the other ingredients ready.
- Next add garlic then the spices, herbs and a good pinch of sea salt and pepper and let fry for a minute, stirring a little to stop it catching.
- Add the drained beans along with your choice of liquid and let simmer away, lid on, for 10 minutes then give it a good squeeze of lime juice and taste for seasoning.
- Serve up and top with your choice of extras.
- 1 tbs ghee/coconut oil/butter
- 1 large red onion, sliced and save some for garnishing
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano or thyme or 1 tbs fresh
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne or chipotle, to taste
- 3 x 400g tins of black beans, drained weight total 720g
- 500ml quality broth/stock or liquid
- Sea salt and pepper
- Fresh coriander
- Avocado or guacamole
- Extra red onion slices or spring onions/chives
- Fresh jalopeno or chilli, to taste
- lime juice