04 Mar Super Soup with Halloumi Croutons
Soups & Bowl Food
Super Green Soup with Halloumi Croutons
Halloumi Croutons & Super Green Soup in 30 minutes! Inspired by a creamy potato & leek soup, this soup has the cheerful boost of greens too. Swap the potato for celeriac or a mix of both. If you don’t have kale, try chard or spinach or add some peas too.
The Herby drizzle is great if you have any herbs or salad leaves to use up and whatever you do, don’t skip the golden halloumi cubes, which I’m calling *halloumi croutons* (there is no bread involved, don’t be offended please by the name 🤪)
For more waste-free recipes, get your hands on my brand new cookbook *Eat Green*.
1. In a medium saucepan, gently fry the leeks or onion for 5 minutes while you get on with dicing the potatoes and peeling and dicing the celeriac.
2. Add the potatoes and celeriac, add a pinch of salt and pepper and fry for another 2 minutes, stirring from time to time so the leeks/onions are softening but nothing is browning too much.
3. Add the stock/broth, pop the lid on, bring to the boil then immediately turn down to a medium simmer for about 15 minutes until the veg is tender. (While the soup is simmering, prepare the herb drizzle, chop up halloumi & pat dry).
4. Add the milk and kale and any herb stalks, stir and simmer for another 3 minutes.
5. Blitz the soup straight away until creamy, add a splash more water if too thick and season to taste. Serve up each bowl with a drizzle of olive oil if you like plus chopped herbs and extra pepper.
6. Straight away, heat up a large frying pan, add more ghee/oil & add the halloumi cubes spacing it out so they’re not overcrowded & fry for a min until golden, turn over & repeat. Serve straight away on top while they’re hot and perfect.
2 medium leeks or 1 big onion
2 tbsp butter or oil
2 medium potatoes or 1/3 peeled celeriac or mix of potato & celeriac, 400g
100g kale or a mix of mainly kale / greens
100ml any milk
1.2 litres veg stock /organic bone broth
Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
250g halloumi, chopped into 2cm chunks
1 tbsp butter / ghee / oil
Handful soft herbs (parsley/mint/dill/basil/coriander)
6 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp vinegar or citrus juice
Sea salt & pepper