30 Aug The Big Green Salad
Salads & Sides
The Big Green Salad
This Big Green Salad is a great & quick dinner if you’ve been away on holiday or had a big weekend but not eaten as much green as you’d like! This is a properly satisfying salad and takes less than 30 minutes & just happens to be vegan too (if you don’t add the feta). Make sure you use up the broccoli stalk, just slice off the knobbly bits that are a tough then slice up the stalk.
If you run out of herbs, chop some salad leaves like watercress, rocket or lettuce. Just go for green- anything green goes! And use any grain you’ve got in your cupboards or whatever you fancy! It’s a lovely salad served warm or even packed up as leftovers for work. Add a sprinkling of feta, goats cheese, smoked fish or an egg to your leftovers too.
- Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions with a pinch of sea salt, takes about 15 mins then turn off the heat, keep lid on and let steam for a final few minutes
- Meanwhile, shake the dressing ingredients together.
- In a wide frying pan, toast the nuts/seeds for 1 minute then set aside. Back to the pan, add the broccoli florets and ½ mug of water then let cook on a medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally while you get on with chopping up everything else
- Then add the ghee/oil to the broccoli pan, add the courgettes, turn up the heat, add a big pinch of sea salt & pepper & let the veg cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the veg is tender & going golden at the edges. Add the peas for the last minute and stir through
- Once the quinoa is cooked, add it to a large bowl & gently stir through ½ the dressing.
- Add everything from the frying pan to the bowl along with half the herbs & gently mix, taste for seasoning
- Serve up or pile everything onto a platter, adding the rest of the herbs and topping with the toasted pistachios and drizzle over the rest of the dressing
300g uncooked quinoa, buckwheat or lentils
1 medium head of broccoli, use the stalk too, chopped
2 medium courgettes, thinly sliced
1 tbsp ghee/coconut oil
½ cucumber, diced
2 large handfuls of frozen peas
1 large handful of chives, spring onions or red onion, finely chopped
4 large handfuls of fresh herbs
1 large handful of nuts or seeds eg pistachios or sunflower seeds
Optional – top with feta, fried halloumi, goat’s cheese
7 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
Juice & zest of 1 1/2 lemons
1 fat clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbspmaple syrup or raw honey
Sea salt & pepper
1 tbsp dried mint/ oregano/ thyme – optional