07 Jul Very Green Soup
Soups and Bowl Food
Very Green Soup
Keep frozen spinach, peas and broccoli in the freezer and tins of beans in the cupboard and this recipe will be ready to go when you get home late from work. Feta (in oil) keeps well for up to 3 months in the fridge and always livens up a dish, as it does here. For zero waste, don’t throw away the broccoli stalks, chop them up and add them to the soup. You can use any tinned beans you have on hand.
- Bring a large wide saucepan of water to the boil. Add eggs and simmer for 6 minutes, then remove and plunge into cold water. Meanwhile chop the onions, garlic and broccoli.
- Pour out the water from the saucepan, then place it back on the heat. Heat the ghee/oil and gently fry the onions for 4 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add garlic and broccoli and cook for 1 minute, then add the peas, drained beans and water/stock/broth and turn up the heat to a medium simmer. Place the lid on and cook for 5 minutes or until the broccoli is just tender.
- Add the spinach and a big pinch of salt and pepper then immediately turn off the heat. Stir through the lemon juice and fresh herbs.
- Blend (in batches, if necessary) and taste for seasoning. Divide between bowls, top with a halved soft boiled egg (or your choice of feta, goat’s cheese or yoghurt). Sprinkle with extra herbs, and drizzle with oil.
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large onion or leek, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 head broccoli, 350g, stalks and florets, roughly chopped, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 200g peas, fresh (podded) or frozen
- 1 x 400g tin of white beans, cannellini or butter beans, drained and rinsed (drained weight 280g)
- 800ml water, quality stock or bone broth
- 200g spinach, fresh or frozen
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 handful of fresh herbs (mint, parsley or basil)
- Feta, goat’s cheese or yoghurt (if you don’t use a soft boiled egg)
- Squeeze of lemon juice / lemon zest