07 Jul Watercress, Radicchio & Hazelnut Salad
Salads and Small Plates
Watercress, Radicchio & Hazelnut Salad
This is an Italian-inspired salad, using crunchy radicchio leaves and a simple dressing. Radicchio has crisp, tightly packed leaves and a delicate, slightly bitter flavour that works well with the peppery-ness of the watercress. You can also use endive or chicory. The honey in the dressing adds a welcome sweetness to the salad but you can also use maple syrup or your choice of sweetener.
- In a large serving platter or bowl, whisk or stir together the dressing ingredients, then taste for seasoning.
- Toast the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan for a minute, shake halfway through and keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
- Just before you’re ready to eat, shred the radicchio and add to the platter, along with the watercress and toss to combine. Scatter with hazelnuts, to serve.
- 1 small handful of hazelnuts or nuts of your choice
- 1 head of radicchio or 150g of red chicory leaves, shredded
- 150g watercress, large stalks chopped (to make it easier to eat)
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey (or maple syrup for vegan) or to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper